Thursday, January 29, 2009

Placentophagy


Sabbath came over today to start my Placenta Encapsulation. Way cool! I wish she was here back in May when Jax was born, as I would have loved to have it done immediately postpartum, but I was not really up for doing it myself a few hours after the birth. I'm really excited about the little family experiments we want to do with it ;) Right now it's drying and she'll come back tomorrow to finish up the process.



I've been fascinated with placentas since just before we knew we were going to start trying to get pregnant for the first time. It's just such an amazing organ. Of course we checked Lili's out after her birth. We saved it in our deep freezer and planted it with a tree on her first birthday. It was large and thick and beautiful :) She was a tiny thing though, at 6lbs 7oz- but perfect and born 12 hours before her due date. Her pregnancy was a breeze and I really enjoyed my time with her in my belly. My pregnancy with Jax was much more of a challenge. I was often sick and struggled with feeling healthy during his pregnancy. I felt as if I was battling a handful of mental/physical/emotional issues the entire time. When I delivered his placenta, which came out "Dirty Duncan", we noticed right away that it was much smaller and obviously more beat up looking than Lili's had been when it was delivered. He seemed so tiny when he was born that I thought for sure he was a runt with an unhealthy placenta but he was a completed average 7lbs 4 oz, and born on his due date. I guess I just forgot how tiny newborns really are...I'd love to learn so much more about the awesomeness of the placenta. Though, I'm sure I'll still have just as much respect, awe and interest in The Amazing Placenta no matter how much I continue to learn about it. I guess just as with so many things about pregnancy and birth- sometimes it just defies logic and our human understanding. And that's pretty cool.

*And for the record- yes I tasted it, and no it doesn't taste like chicken.*

No comments: