Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Nina Nina Ballerina



Lili had her first dance class today. She was going back and forth on whether or not she even wanted to go, but once she had her new (purple!) leotard, dance shoes and Ballet Book from Mee Maw she was raring to go. In classic Lili form, however, she was not willing to join the group of 3 year olds and the instructors. She wanted to do all the positions, she even INSISTED on getting her Ballet Book and looking up what positions would be coming up next and how they were supposed to look while she was dancing, but they all had to be done right next to me. And I had to do them with her. I was snapping photos and every time I took a picture ("no mama! Don't take my picture!") I had to scoot back to get the shot- so she kept scooting back, too. I'm suprised we didn't end up in the parking lot... She also did great waiting her turn for the balance beam and trampoline (in ballet class?) but I think most of that was because she was a bit intimidated by all of the people. New, big groups always show a completely different side of her. The child walks "on the edge" of everything and can scale things you wouldn't believe, but when her turn came (she was last in both lines) she had to hold my hand on the balance beam and missed her turn altogether on the trampoline. She didn't need me for balance, just security :) She also tends to step back to the level of those around her- she did that with coloring at the library. Always naturally colored fantastically and shockingly in the lines but at the library the kids just scribble all over everything so she started doing that, like she didn't realize until she watched them that's how she was "supposed" to do it. It is so interesting. She's also been playing this back and forth game recently- I want that, no I don't, no I desperately need it- that kind of thing. That's how she missed her turn on the trampoline. She waited so patiently as she was last in line then her turn came and she turned around, looked at me, said she didn't want to do it, and then looked heartbroken when the instructor put it away. At least when she was putting her boots on she asked if after she was all dressed she could go to another dance class. I guess we can at least convince her to go again next week.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Wow...you captured the emotion of it so well Betsy. Loved reading the story, especially since today was Bella's first day too :)(I just posted a few pics on Flickr). We ran into the issue of B not really knowing about "structure" or "class setting"...so when she was supposed to be following the teacher, she was totally free stylin' and spinning and dancing. So cute. It was fun to watch her interact in that kind of setting though. Just like you, I learned so much about her by just watching. Isn't it fun to "learn" our children?

Jennifer Battjer said...

Awww.... I secretly hope Lila wants to do ballet. Remember our ballet days? We had the best quartet in Jersey! Lol. Did you see Carrie Johnson on FB? Has a baby and all! Crazy! What was the other girls name? Courtney? Do you ever dance anymore? I kind of wish I kept up w/ it!

Jell-o Flinger said...

Yup, it was Courtney and she's on here as well. There are some more dancing pics under Old Stuff on FB :)