Saturday, October 18, 2008

Trees...


Trees. I miss my trees. One of the hardest things for me about moving to the middle of the country is losing my trees. Yes, we do have trees here. But, no, it's just not the same. We're landscaping today (aka giving away our plants via craigslist) and it's seriously making me miss our lack of landscaping issues growing up. We had to deal with alot of sandy soil, but our yard was mostly moss, we had thousands of trees and it felt as if our house was nestled into a cozy little nook of trees. Thick trees in front of the house and even thicker trees in back. And we backed up to preserved land, so it was miles of hills for exploring, sledding, digging, climbing...
*Side note- OMG, Jen I think my favorite thing about your house was that cleared out area in the woods where we used to play house! Do you remember that?? It was just raked out dirt, trees and sticks and things but it totally transformed into a playhouse. I don't know why I've been thinking about that so much lately, maybe because I'm sad that Lili doesn't have that and she is just at that awesome age! Out here everyone plops those Step Two plastic playhouses in the middle of their flat, naked backyards. So not the same...*


Scott accepted a transfer from his Philadelphia office to the midwest for alot of reasons- change of pace, try somewhere new, but the biggest of all was the cost of living. We knew it was important for our family that I stay at home when we decided to have children. So we up and moved into a brand new house in a state Scott had been to for about 5 hours and that I'd never stepped foot in. (And in those five hours that Scott was here, he had an interview at a local brewery and saw a woman walking around downtown in a velour blue cowprint pantsuit. That was the extent of his experience in the state.) We had just under 48 hours to find a house and had no idea where anything was, which town was what or how we were going to go through closing, inspections and all that jazz from over 1000 miles away. So after looking at about 50 homes we decided to go with the "young" neighborhood suggested to us, that offered a new build because we thought that would have the least amount of bumps in the road since we had so much to do from a distance. We've been here for 4 years now, and I still feel the same way that I did when we first moved into our first house- like I'm in a hospital gown with my bare bottom hanging out. The back of our house just feels so NAKED. I can see our neighbors, they can see us. Our yard is just a big, open, flat space- perfect for a pool (though in a state that spends more than half of the year freezing it's bottom off it's not a great selling point)or swingset or...growing corn. We have trees, but they still seem so far away from me. Driving down the streets in our old neighborhood it felt as though you could reach out of the car and touch the trees- even on 295 or driving down to the shore the trees are right off of the highway. Here they are mostly in clumps off of the highway, in older neighbors, or planted akwardly in new yards. I actually heard one person complaining about having trees in his yard because of having to rake leaves- he had ONE tree in his 1/4 acre lot! Are you kidding me? I don't think I'll ever get to a point (nor do I want to) where I'll really feel like I'm at home without my trees. driving home in NJ
the street where I grew up
driving home in NJ
my nursery school!
Lili playing in our old backyard with her Uncle (Christmas 2006)
Our first neighborhood in Iowa

Photo 1: Medford Lakes- taken from the road while my mom was driving home.
Photo 2: Iowa Map- credit: http://o.aolcdn.com/art/ch_travel/iowa
Photo 3: Google Maps- satellite view our street in Iowa
Photo 4: Google Maps- satellite view our street in NJ

All the other pictures (including photo 1) were video stills, thus horrible quality. Sorry.

3 comments:

Jennifer Battjer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Battjer said...

OMG... I feel your feelings exactly and seeing Taisley Ct gave me chills all over! We are ON TOP of our neighbors here in Texas!! And like you said enough room for a pool and swingset. It is ridiculous and like you... we love living here bc of the cost of living! I totally remember that perfect spot for playing house! Also.. behind your house was the best. All those amazing "forts", trails for riding, walking or running and the trees for climbing! What a great childhood! Amazing place to grow up! I'll always love NJ! Texas isn't NJ that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

When my parents bought their first house (in 1984, the house I grew up in, in Ankeny), my mom chose the one she chose because it backed up to a large expanse of undeveloped land full of trees and hills and a creek. Not exactly the deep woods, but she grew up on a farm in NW Iowa and it reminded her of home. And it gave all the neighborhood kids SUCH a great place to play growing up. We had a park, but I don't think we ever went there. That undeveloped area was sold and turned into another new development when I was in college. :=(