Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Why Jell-O?

I'm sure you're all wondering, "Why Jell-O?"

It all goes back to a little book of my moms called Fresh Elastic for Stretched Out Moms. My mom needed it as we stretched her pretty thin some days. As a kid I wasn't terribly interested in the book itself, but it was broken up in a way that you could read quick little snipits that would make you laugh. Like "A Variation of Murphy's Law" or "Not-So-Famous Last Words" which I enjoyed every time I read them. But there was always one story that stuck out for me- The Red Jell-O Caper. The basic jist is that a mom walks in on her two boys flinging raspberry Jell-O at a white brick wall in her kitchen. In the moment that she walks in to see this, she goes over in her mind how to react- is she the mom that will scream and discipline the children for ruining her kitchen? Or... Is she the mom that will sit down with a big spoon and enjoy some laughter with her children and start Jell-O flinging herself? I strive to be a Jell-O flinger.

No comments: